Friday, October 15, 2010

Self -Rescuing Princess

I've learned several things while traveling and performing in this children's tour. I know that most Oklahoma towns will have nothing to do, but they will always have a Sonic. I know that we don't say "butt" or" bottom" anymore, but that children should now be told to sit "on pockets". And I've learned that you should never, under any circumstances, sign autographs on children's hands. (I must have been really tired that day.)

But one of the most exciting, uplifting things that I've noticed is that girls in Arkansas are AWESOME. Today at our show, two self-assured and polite third grade girls came over to talk to us while we were putting up our set. The girls had digital cameras, notebooks, and press badges with them and asked if they could interview us. They explained that their school had a press club and that they wrote news stories and took pictures of interesting things that were happening at their school. I can't really do justice to how awesome these girls were, but they just oozed cool. They were articulate, fun, and motivated. They took a bunch of pictures during the show and then came backstage after to tell us how much they appreciated us coming to their school.

At another school in Arkansas, a four year old at one of our shows was wearing a shirt that said, "This is what a feminist looks like". and today a second grade girl had a t-shirt on that read "Self-Rescuing Princess".
I had never seen a "Self-Rescuing Princess" t-shirt before, I think the closest my age group came to were those lame "Girl Power" shirts. Hey, I'm not trying to bust on those tees, because I can assure you that I sported one frequently, but what does "Girl Power" even mean? Now it strikes me as one of those lame throw-away phrases that only got popular because the Spice Girls made it seem like some sort of 21st century feminist sentiment.


I wonder if they have Self-Rescuing Princess t-shirts in adult sizes...

3 comments: